There is one good and simple reason why almost every Australian household has at least one smartphone: they make our lives easier. From managing appointments to responding to emails to looking up information online, smartphones streamline our everyday activities – or, at least, they can.
Despite a growing number of people worldwide owning smartphones, they are not cheap, which makes choosing the right phone important. To help make the task easier for you, we have put together a list of 3 tips to help you make the “smartest” choice when choosing a smartphone.
TIP: List All of the Features You Need from Your Smartphone
Different smartphones come with different features and benefits. The newest and the greatest features to come out of the smartphone industry may be exactly what you need to effectively run your business while on the go, or they may be completely unnecessary for a more casual user.
Make a list of all of the items which you will want your smartphone to help you with, and begin exploring how different smartphones on your list will help you accomplish these tasks. Consider factors such as:
- The speed of the phone’s processor;
- The phone’s RAM (memory);
- The size of the phone’s screen;
- Screen quality and resolution;
- The quality of the camera;
- Software features; and
- Battery life.
TIP: Set a Budget and Stick with it
If you have ever walked into the store of a cell phone carrier, you have likely found yourself almost immediately being up-sold and told that a more expensive smartphone is the “better” choice for you. Do not allow yourself to become so easily swayed. To help stay on task, set a budget for yourself and bring along the list of features you want from your phone. The salesperson should respect your budget and list of features, and show you smartphones which match both.
- Find a great cell phone carrier to save even more. If you are not currently on a plan, you may be able to save a lot by signing a contract with a cell phone carrier. Do not base your selection of cell phone on the carrier and the deal you can get on the smartphone, however. Look into the reputation of the carrier and make sure that they are flexible, have competitive prices and have fantastic customer service.
TIP: Choose the Right Operating System
The greatest debate which exists in the realm of smartphones is “Apple vs. Android”. But there are actually four different types of operating systems:
- Apple iOS;
- Google Android;
- Microsoft Windows Mobile; and
- Blackberry OS.
Blackberry OS is great for web browsing and email, but as of today there are not nearly as many apps available for it. Apple OS, on the other hand, has tons of apps to choose from. Android phones have a number of different apps as well, and unlike Apple devices, Android is available on a variety of phones including the OPPO find 7. Windows mobile phones are a good choice for those who will be doing business on the go as users can easily view and work on documents and spreadsheets.